Brrrrr! Baby, it’s cold outside and it’s going to get colder yet. But don’t despair! KHD officially declares February 1st to be National Hygge Day. Hygge (pronounced hoo-gah) is a concept that inspires joyful living, togetherness, peace and warmth.
So, in this, our 15th Anniversary Year, we offer 15 fun ways to bring a little hygge into your life!
- Celebrate the bad weather by snuggling up with a cozy blanket (and maybe a loved one or two). Warm textiles and soft textures shout hygge, and they also add a layer of dimension to your space.
- Strike a match and light some candles. The Danes burn more candles per capita than any other country on the planet. They are also reportedly the happiest nation. Could this be their secret happiness recipe?
- Enjoy a tasty treat. Maybe a favourite bakery item: did someone say cupcake? Decadent desserts and treats are positively hygge-licious!
- Host an impromptu gathering. Invite friends or neighbours over for something simple. Cook together. The focus is on the shared experience, not channeling Martha Stewart. The hygge bonus of softly candlelit rooms = less obsessive cleaning required!
- Make home-made soup or chili. Need I say more? So good for the soul.
- Savour a delicious beverage like Mulled Wine. Check out our hygge page for my favourite recipe.
- Play an old-fashioned board game.
- Put down the electronics, turn off the television and talk to each other. Pretend it’s 1985 and wifi doesn’t exist.
- Play great music, and get extra hygge happiness points if the music is live. Guitar, anyone?
- Surround yourself with meaningful mementos. Artfully arrange photos of loved ones, treasures from your travels: objects that inspire you.
- Create a conversation corner. Fill it with art books, throws, comfy furniture, and a beautiful handmade rug.
- Light a fire in the fireplace.
- Introduce natural elements like plants, wood, wool, and cotton. Tactile textures are so hygge.
- I’m currently in love with jigsaw puzzles. They slow everything right down and allow for quiet conversation and contemplation.
- And, of course, do it all in a super-cozy pair of socks or slippers. Hygge heaven!
How will you hygge today?
Examples of Hygge Interior Design
Krista Hermanson Design is a Calgary Interior Designer that specializes in residential renovations. We have worked with many families in Calgary who have felt disconnected to a certain area of their home, and we listen just as hard when our clients talk about budgets and timelines as we do when they talk about their vision for the space. It’s this process that has enabled us to complete hundreds of renovations on budget and on schedule.
Want to get in touch with us in 2019? Lets Talk.